Life update: I am home with my baby…now what?

Writing this post, I have technically been a stay at home mom for 4 days. All weekend I found myself fighting against trying to do the long list of laundry, cleaning, shopping, prep for the week ahead, etc. I kept having to remind myself that I don’t have to get everything done in 48 hours anymore. I actually had to force myself to Sloooow down. It’s an odd feeling.

Monday and Tuesday I didn’t do a whole lot. I did get 5 loads of laundry done over the last few days, and managed to deep clean my laundry room, mud room and kitchen floors. They really needed it!

I seem to be resting a lot. The first day or two it felt like I was in recovery mode. The last two days, I have been soaking up time with my little.

Now it seems I have come down with a mild cold. This usually happens when I have been burning the candle at both ends and then suddenly stop. My body can actually take time to heal rather than maintain the status quo of stress, lack of sleep, and the need to go, go, go.

When I was working and had the girls schedules and our family daily grind to worry about, I simply didn’t have ‘time’ to be sick or under the weather and I didn’t want to take time off from work for a cold because I needed to save my paid time off to cover lack of child care over school breaks.

Now that I have had a few days to recuperate, I can see how tense I have been for months on end. I had to keep the machine moving forward and it took constant effort and maintenance to keep it full speed ahead and running as smoothly as possible.

Now that I have the time to think about how to best plan for my family and what things I would like to accomplish as a SAHM, I realize I am going to need some kind of daily/weekly schedule. If I don’t have a general plan for each day, it’s likely I will waste my day watching YouTube (guilty pleasure)

For my stay-at-home or retired readers, how do you schedule your time so you are still productive and not eating bonbons on the couch all day in your sweatpants (or yoga pants)! ? πŸ™‚ (if you do eat bonbons all day, you get no judgement from me!)


9 thoughts on “Life update: I am home with my baby…now what?

  1. Claudette says:

    Wait till they’re older and have interests and opinions and a social life and a sports schedules.. Mine are tween and teen, I’m still a SAHM, and I long for a day of sitting and eating bonbons. When will they come? Will they come? πŸ™‚

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Candy Keane | Geek Mamas says:

    If your kids let you sit around eating bonbons and watching youtube, I am jealous, lol. I have heard of this phenomenon but never experienced it. Every day I have a giant to-do list that never quite gets done, because my son (he’s 3) is demanding my attention 95% of the time and then trying to “help” with the to-do list the other 5% so every five minute task takes an hour. Also, yoga pants all day are OK and helps you save time getting dressed lol. In fact, the one thing I actually try to schedule in is a little break for myself where maybe I can sneak a bonbon and check my e-mail. (or blog)

    Liked by 1 person

Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.